geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bruce Snyder <>
Subject Re: M5 - 24hr notice of branch - done
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:21:40 GMT
On 9/19/05, Aaron Mulder <> wrote:
> On 9/19/05, Alan D. Cabrera <> wrote:
> > Agreed, bug fixes we do put into both branches.  However, Aaron is
> > talking about features, IIUC.
> > 
> > Just to be succinct, my -1 is a real technical veto on adding features,
> > not bug fixes, to both branches; though I am not intransigent and am 
> > willing to discuss it further.
>   I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, since I don't think I really
> said what I was talking about.  But here's an example:
>   - Adding the management API for server logs.  Without this, the console
> screen breaks if the Jetty GBean name is changed, and Tomcat does not work.
>  Now this is kind of a new feature, but kind of a bug fix too.  I'd be
> inclined to put it in, since I think we'd like Tomcat to be fairly well
> supported, and the current code is arguably broken.
>  Some of the other JIRA's on my M5 list are:
>   - make the server require an argument if you want to give a list of
> Configurations to start on the command line
>   - make the deployer require an argument if you want it to run in offline
> mode
>   - invalid references in deployment plan should give meaningful error
> message to deployer
>   - breakage if more than one configuration manager found
>   - installer needs to be updated to reflect current product configuration
> options

OK, if this stuff is done now, add it and we'll recut the branch. If
it's not done now, save it for M6 (which, IMO, should start to be
rolled together within about one month of the release of M5). My point
is that we need to cut this release and move on. We can't keep holding
up things longer and longer until it's absolutely perfect (I'm
thinking about Matt Hogstrom's message regarding the message we're
sending the community by continuing to waffle). IMO, we need to
continue performing milestone releases until we feel that 1.0 is ready
to go. There's no crime in continuing with milestone releases.

perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"

The Castor Project

Apache Geronimo

View raw message