geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <>
Subject Re: Tomcat and the web console
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:36:49 GMT
On 9/2/05, Joe Bohn <> wrote:
> I think everybody agrees that it is critical that we support Tomcat
> fully in Geronimo and this is also true for the web console.  I'd like
> to help enhance the web console to support Tomcat more completely.
> I've been looking at what it would take to update the web console so
> that it can support Tomcat for the Web Server statistics and logging.
> My first goal has just been to display statistics that are similar
> to/consistent with those we present for Jetty today.  After that I'd
> like to see if there are additional statistics that we should expose for
> Tomcat, Jetty or both.
> However, the first thing I have to do is discover where I can gather
> statistical information from Tomcat such as the total number of
> connections, number that are open, max number of connections, total
> number of requests, connection duration avg/max., request duration
> avg/max, etc.....  I'm looking around to see if I can find this type of
> statistical data in Tomcat .... but if somebody can point the way I'll
> get there quicker :-).   Jetty gets most of this information from their
> HttpServer object.

I believe that this type of information can be accessed via the JMX
capabilities in Tomcat. IIRC, there is a big list of manageable
components that are available via either an RMI connector or a proxy
servlet. The following page offers some information on the JMX proxy

Throughout the Tomcat 5.5 docs there is info available on the use of
MX4J's RMI capabilities.

The Castor Project

Apache Geronimo

View raw message