geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Trunk cleanup?
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:28:15 GMT
The recent emails got me thinking about cleaning up the trunk tree.
After about 20 minutes of investigations (so take it for what it is
worth :)  I came up with the following proposal:

Sandbox - I think this should be moved to the root of the tree and be
a place where any committer can play or experiment freely.  The
contrib directory in the sandbox seems like it was created as an
initial home for the initial import new contributions (i.e., a tag of
the initial import).  I like this idea and think we should move
contrib to root and attempt to back fill the big initial imports like
the console and the eclipse plugin.  The other sandbox directory I
have questions on it petstore.  If it works, I think we should move
it to an examples directory off of root.
geronimo/trunk/sandbox                  --> geronimo/sandbox
geronimo/trunk/sandbox/contrib          --> geronimo/contrib
geronimo/trunk/sandbox/mail             --> geronimo/sandbox/mail
geronimo/trunk/sandbox/petstore         --> geronimo/examples/petstore
geronimo/trunk/sandbox/spring-assembly  --> geronimo/sandbox/spring-
assembly

Specs - I think we are ready to split this off into an independently
released and tightly managed subproject.
geronimo/trunk/specs  -->  geronimo/specs

Console - Aaron correct me if I'm wrong... I assume that the console
is tied to the version of the Geronimo server it is included with, so
it would be unreasonable to ship it separately.  Therefore, I think
we should make move it to the root of trunk
geronimo/trunk/applications/console-core       --> geronimo/trunk/
console/core
geronimo/trunk/applications/console-ear        --> geronimo/trunk/
console/ear
geronimo/trunk/applications/console-framework  --> geronimo/trunk/
console/framework
geronimo/trunk/applications/console-standard   --> geronimo/trunk/
console/standard

Applications - I think these we need to discuss more, but I have a
few suggestions.  Some of these are examples, and some look like real
applications.  Here is my best guess at how they break down:
geronimo/trunk/applications/demo         --> geronimo/examples/
SomeMoreInformativeName
geronimo/trunk/applications/jmxdebug     --> geronimo/sandbox/
jmxdebug  (I think this need more work or we should simply drop it)
geronimo/trunk/applications/magicGball   --> geronimo/examples/
magicGball
geronimo/trunk/applications/uddi-server  --> geronimo/applications/
uddi-server
geronimo/trunk/applications/welcome      --> geronimo/trunk/welcome
(not sure... is this the tomcat/jetty welcome app?)

In general we end up with the following structure:
geronimo/trunk - Stuff needed for the J2EE server
geronimo/specs - Specification API implementations
geronimo/trunk/console - The J2ee web admin console
geronimo/sandbox - Play area
geronimo/contrib - Tags of the initial import from a donation
geronimo/examples - Example apps for new users
geronimo/applications - Standalone applications such as dayTrader and
uddi-server

This is just my opinion....

-dain