geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: M5: is the izpack installer anywhere near alive?
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:44:40 GMT
I would definitely object to removing it from M5.  <rant>And for that
matter, I object to you characterizing it as "thoroughly broken"
without looking.  And if you have no idea how it's supposed to be used
or how to go about fixing it, why don't you ask for help?  I'm sure
someone who's familiar with the installer would be happy to walk you
through it.</rant>

But back to the current state.  Basically, the installer has screens
that let you set variables, and those variables get substituted into
config.xml or config.list or any other file you care to mangle.  This
should all be working already, though we may need to tweak the list of
variables (I think we added CORBA to the standard plans since the last
installer update).

I'm assuming we're going to distribute 2 Geronimo packages, 1 Tomcat,
and 1 Jetty.  Likewise, we should have 2 installer packages, 1 Tomcat,
and 1 Jetty.  They'd probably use the exact same install sequence and
substitution variables, just slightly different config.xml/config.list
files.  This is no different than the non-installer builds.

But for the record, can you explain exactly how the Jetty/Tomcat stuff
works now?  My understanding is that we create the same server
configuration either way, but then we select either Jetty or Tomcat to
be started, and then deploy all the standard applications such that
they only work for Jetty or only for Tomcat, whichever you selected.
So we can't have "one server distribution" where you can pick between
Jetty or Tomcat, because all the apps (console, welcome, etc.) will
only work for one or the other.

If that's all correct, I think the last stop of the Jetty build should
be to undeploy the Tomcat and Tomcat Runtime Deployer modules, and
likewise undeploy Jetty for the Tomcat build, so there's no confusion
and only one web container available in the build a user ends up with.

Thanks,
    Aaron