geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Tomcat/Jetty Handling
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:24:25 GMT
I think we need to finalize our plan for Tomcat and Jetty for M5 (or
whatever we call it).

I believe we agreed earlier to produce separate Tomcat and Jetty releases.

Currently, our "modules/assembly" build creates a distribution with
BOTH Tomcat and Jetty, and I believe even starts both by default
(though I'm not sure of that).

I don't like that solution very much, for reasons which I think I've
covered in other threads.  I'd like to actually remove the
configuration(s) for the product not included in the desired
distribution.  The most pressing reason for this is so that the
console can safely assume that only one web container is present.
While we need to correct it to handle multiple web containers, I think
that's a lot of unnecessary work for M5, compared to limiting
ourselves to deploying one web container in each build.

So the question is, how to we get two different builds for Jetty and
Tomcat?  The short-term options (e.g. not switching to assemblies/*,
which I assume would be a major undertaking) seem to be:

 - Change "modules/assembly" so that the Jetty/Tomcat decision
actually doesn't deploy or undeploys the non-matching web container
configuration(s), instead of just changing the list of modules to
start by default.

 - Create two wrapper modules that each take the output of
"modules/assembly" and one strips the Tomcat stuff and configures it
for Jetty and the other does vice versa.

The former is certainly the quick+dirty solution, but it results in us
needing to run the build twice and creates two output artifacts with
the same name but different contents.  I suspect that will be
objectionable, which leads me to believe that the second option would
be preferable.  Anyone else have thoughts on this (or the best way to
do this)?

Thanks,
    Aaron