geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Multi-parent classloaders
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:13:12 GMT
On 9/18/05, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
>     So with the new multi-parent class loader support, what's the
> difference between parentId, import, include, and dependency?

David J's response follows.  I think we ought to get this information
into the schema docs.  -- Aaron

parentId and import both relate to other configurations.  A list
consisting of parentId followed by any imports is constructed and used
as the parent classloaders.  The first element of this list is used to
get the domain and server for the object names in the configuration.
For a configuration without any parentId or imports, you must specify
the domain and server explicitly.  parentId is theoretically
unnecessary but I suggest retaining it for backward compatibility,
ease of use when only one parent is needed, and clarity of determining
which parent configuration determines the domain and server object
name components.

Include and dependency both relate to items in the repository and add
them to the URL[] of the current configurations classloader.
dependency elements use the items in place in the repo, whereas
include elements result in the item being copied into the
configuration itself.  I'm not sure include is tested enough to be
reliable.

-- David J