geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject How do we ship jetty and tomcat versions? Please respond
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:32:05 GMT
As part of my work on breaking up our monolithic configuration into
smaller pieces, I now have a set of configurations that modularize
jetty and tomcat into two configurations each.  These can be turned on
and off individually, by means of starting with different config.list
files or by an appropriate command line.  It is equally easy to run
both at once if you arrange the ports to avoid collisions.

I'm planning on cleaning this up a bit more and committing it soon
(maybe tonight).  If you don't like this idea please speak up soon.

I wrote a namespace-driven switching module builder to determine if the
jetty or tomcat builder is used.  It has a defaultNamespace  option
which is what currently determines the target.  The module builders
register themselves with the switch and supply their namespace.

I would like to:
-- keep the current geronimo-web.xsd with its "any" based deployer
specific configuration bits
--write jetty and tomcat specific schemas that include the deployer
specific configuration directly

In this way, if you know which your target environment is, you can
write in that schema and the correct deployer will be selected
automatically.  If you don't, the choice of target environment will
come from the defaultNamespace setting in the switch.

The remaining nasty point is the offline deployer, which currently
includes both the jetty and tomcat builders.  I have not found a way to
configure the offline deployer to start more than one configuration, so
I have been forced to include everything in the j2ee-deployer-plan.xml.
   I think we should consider if we have progressed far enough to
eliminate the offline deployer as a separate configuration and always
use the runtime deployer configs both online and offline.  There are
still some classloader issues I don't understand well enough for me to
try this right now.

So, in more detail, I propose we ship:

-all the configurations, for both jetty and tomcat, installed
- 3 pairs of config.list and config.xml files that run both, only
jetty, and only tomcat
- both containers and builders running by default.
- installer stuff that lets you pick which option you want installed.

thanks
david jencks