geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Java serizalization compatibility issues
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:37:03 GMT
At 02:43 AM 9/23/2005, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>Sachin's problem is not related to configuration persistence but to
>the serialization of classes between plugin and server when using
>JMX remoting over RMI.
>
>The upshot of it all is unless we are going to ditch all use of
>serialization and replace it with XML then we need to exercise the
>necessary discipline and version the classes involved.

IMO most people underestimate the degree of compatibility that can be
achieved with serialization - but then I have written RMI stacks for
a living and am naturally biased :)

Given that RMI-based JMX is in Java SE 5 now it seems a little
strange to entirely ditch this approach. Simply fixing the svuid for
all serialized classes will make things considerably better since
without this svuid's change for the most minor (and inconsequential)
reasons. This could be done mehcanilcally with appropriate use of sed
and serialver ...

$0.02

andy