geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] branch and tag policy (and stable/unstable mixed in :)
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:55:21 GMT

On Sep 19, 2005, at 12:05 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> As for the confusion of branches and tags, Dain, can you clarify if
> your confusion is caused strictly by this being a milestone release?
[rearranged]
> But of course there is no M4.0 and M4.1 so the whole issue is kind
> of muddy regarding milestones, and I don't really care what we do
> to the M-series.

That's my sentiment.  If we are planning in advance to do patch
releases on another release, then we should stop calling them
milestones.

> I mean, if this was the v3.2 branch, and we had a v3.2.0 tag while
> the 3.2 branch HEAD was used for development toward 3.2.1, would
> that be confusing?  I think that's the approach we have to take,
> and whacking the 3.2 branch as soon as 3.2.0 was released with the
> intention of "resurrecting it" if we ever decided to work on 3.2.1,
> well, that doesn't make any sense to me.

Right, it clearly makes no sense.  If we think we are at the point
where we want to put a stake in the sand and patch releases off
another release, let's man-up and call it 1.0, then 1.0.1 and 1.0.2,
then 1.1.0 and 1.1.1.  And that is totally cool with me.

-David