geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE]Re: M5 Cut proposal date
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:04:58 GMT

On Sep 9, 2005, at 2:39 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I think we've made significant progress in the last week towards
> being ready to make the branch for M5, but I think there may be
> reasons to wait a couple more days.  There are 2 features that
> people want to get in (security improvements and DDL generation)
> that I would like to see in M5, and more stabilization is needed in
> any case before the release.  I think that unless someone is
> waiting to get a new feature in that shouldn't go in M5 we should
> wait until monday and see where we are.
>
> If anyone is contemplating a commit that may destabilize our code
> please speak up so we can branch beforehand.

Along with your list in the initial thread, we need to deal with the
BouncyCastle situation, since we need to stop shipping this jar.  The
status quo is unacceptable because of the patent encumbrance of IDEA
and therefore the liability that could be accidentally triggered.
Rick has done some great work on hunting this down. (http://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-880) I think the fix is easy
on our side - we can just change the keystore portlet to detect BC
and do something different if not there (like show a page telling
user where to get it if they want it, etc...)  but right now, we need
OpenEJB to remove the dependency.  For OpenEJB, I think there are two
aspects - the inclusion of IDEA in the SSLCipherSuite list (modules/
core/src/java/org/openejb/corba/sunorb/SSLCipherSuiteDatabase.java)
and it's usage of the ASN1 codec.  I don't know what they (OpenEJB)
want to do there - it's been suggested that the necessary code can be
copied (it's under a modified X.Net-ish license) or Directory could
be enhanced and used.  It seems the former is simpler.

Ideas?  (No pun intended...)

geir

geirm@apache.org