geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Management object model questions
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:39:44 GMT

I'm having a difficult time getting my head around the management object
model.   As I understand it we have one J2EEServer in a G image which
can be queried to return multiple WebManagers (actually the web manager
lookup is done using the interface specified on the GBeans ... so
there's nothing really unique about the J2EEServer doing this).

The WebManagers act as a type of collection point for all of the
WebContainers, Connectors, etc...  However, when it comes to web
containers the WebManagers appear to be container specific (they will
always only manage containers of the same type) and there can be only
one WebManager instance per container type in the system.  This implies
to me that we do in fact intend to support any number of web containers
types.  Also within the WebManager for a specific container type we  can
support any number of web container instances of that type.  This
implies that we intend to support not only a single instance of multiple
web container types but also multiple instances of web containers of the
same type.  Is this correct and is that really the intention?

Other questions:
- JSR77 is primarily concerned with the management of applications and
not the server or its components.  In fact, the configuration management
is specifically listed as being outside of the scope of the spec.
Therefore the representation of objects to manage the server itself, web
containers, ejb containers, etc... are G specific creations - right (or
is there some other specification that I'm missing)?
- The way that we are supporting multiple webmanagers and containers
seems to create a problem for applications that for one reason or
another need to interact with the container but not necessarily with all
of the containers.  Right now our interfaces provide the mechanism to
return all web managers and all web containers for that manager.  The
hosting webmanager and container are in there somewhere .... if I only
knew it's name.  I think we need to provide some mechanism to either
obtain the name of the hosting container/manager or actual references to
these objects.  Is this information being tucked away somewhere as an
attribute on the session?  Any other suggestions on how we might correct
this in the short term without building a new management UI that runs
completely outside of the system that it is managing (the only way to
truely manage everything)?

Joe

--
Joe Bohn