geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jsis...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Requesting feedback on ApacheDS move to JDK 1.5
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:59:36 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Over at Directory we're discussing the use of JDK 1.5 specific API's for
> some critical functionality needed for a 1.0 release of the directory
> server.  We find ourselves in a Catch-22 where LDAPv3 compliance
> requires support for SSL and SASL.  Use of these API's would make
> ApacheDS 1.4 incompatible.  We are currently looking for alternatives so
> embedding projects like Geronimo are not affected.

I had a quick look at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2251.txt and it says
SASL mechanisms *may* be used with LDAP.  Is it possible to just support
simple authentication and not require the use of SASL if running on JDK 1.4?

> If we have no choice but to use 1.5 APIs in future releases of ApacheDS
> what impact will this have on Geronimo?
>
> Does Geronimo run on JDK 1.5?  If so is binary compatibility with 1.4 a
> requirement?  (I'm guessing yes.)

Hopefully we will support JDK 1.4 for a while, as enterprise production
server environments are usually a lot slower to move to the latest JDK
release.

> Also is there a way in which ApacheDS integration can be made pluggable
> and available when running under a 1.5 JVM?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Thanks,

John