geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java serizalization compatibility issues
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:35:50 GMT
Sachin Patel wrote: "This is because eclipse can not reference classes
or jars at runtime that are not packaged within a plug-in and marked as
visible in either the plugin.xml or manifest. A big problem resides as
now the same jars I'm packaging must be the same exact jars that reside
in the target server I'm deploying.  This causes a dependency on a
particular server image."

This thread wasn't about configuration files but about communication
between JVMs. Sachin's plugin fails when talking to the server because
there are different versions of the classes in the Eclipse client and in
the running server.

RMI is the only transport guaranteed to be available by the JMX remoting
specification. To use it the classes passed on the wire must be
Serializable. We do not control the versions used on either end and
hence need to ensure that skewed versions can interoperate. This means
following the rules for serialization compatibility (such as adding
serialUIDs).

--
Jeremy