geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java serizalization compatibility issues
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 04:46:55 GMT
Sachin Patel wrote:
> I think it would be nice to be able to publish using either SOAP or RMI,
> and provide that option to the user in the server configuration panel in
> the tools.  I think RMI has better performance once we remote deployment
> is supported, but SOAP is more reliable through firewalls, so thats why
> it would be good to have it to fall back on.

I agree that it is a good option (and I'd go further and say we should
look at things like WS-DM as well) but I don't think it should be the
only option. If you are trying to assemble a lightweight server
mandating a SOAP/HTTP stack just to manage it is considerable overhead.

Performance is not really a factor as this is intended for management
function rather than transaction processing.

What this boils down to is that at some point we need to exhibit
discipline and pay attention to version skew - serialUIDs are just part
of that. The Eclipse plugin is the first application we have that is not
coupled to the main release cycle so perhaps that time has come.

--
Jeremy