geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "David H. DeWolf" <ddew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Portal Server and Geronimo Console
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:51:25 GMT
See below. . .I'm copying the pluto-dev list for individuals that might
be interested in this thread but not monitoring geronimo.  Please only
reply on the geronimo list.

Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> John Sisson wrote:
>
>> I have read a few mails where it has been mentioned we need a more
>> robust portal server for the console.
>> Could those in the know please share a little more information on this
>> topic so we have an idea what the issues are and what the plans are to
>> rectify them (e.g. are we expecting the pluto project to address them
>> in a reasonable time frame?).  Are these issues in JIRA?

I'm also interested in knowing the specifics.  I wonder if many of these
issues will be addressed in Pluto 1.1.  I think that there's a chance
that the pluto 1.1 portal driver might solve some of your concerns.
Especially now that our community is growing (2 more committers just
this week), I think you'll begin to see more things like realtime
deployment added to the portal driver even though they are not
technically part of the portlet container.

While I can't tell you what we're looking at timewise for 1.1 , I can
tell you that now that 1.0.1 GA is being tested (and should be released
next week at the latest), the biggest obstacle to 1.1 is out of the way.

> The main issue is making the console dynamic so that as different things
> get added to the server the console dynamically adjusts. This is easy to
> do in a full portal server like Jetspeed but is not really in the scope
> of the Pluto project (which is focused on implementing the portlet
> container).

What is "dynamically adjusts"?  Does that mean realtime deployment of
new portlets?  If so, this was just added to 1.0.1 this week and is will
be ported to 1.1 as we implement the 1.1 admin portlets which have been
a hot topic on our dev list.

> This is really halfway between Pluto and Jetspeed and perhaps when we
> look in detail at J2 it may be the perfect solution. Regardless, any
> work we do here should be done in conjuction with the Portals project as
> a whole.

If it fits the bill, the pluto team would love to work with you to meet
your requirements.  The focus of our work is definately the portlet
container, however, we also realize that one of the important peices
necessary for our community to thrive is providing functionality which
renders the container easier to use, embed and manage.  If this is what
"halfway between pluto and jetspeed" means, then I think we may be
allready moving in the direction you need.

David