geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r290538 - /geronimo/trunk/modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GAttributeInfo.java
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:22:58 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> Can you explain how saving statistics values between server stop/starts
> is meaningful?  Could be, but I don't understand how yet.  I basically
> don't know anything about how people gather server statistics.
>
> Maybe calling this "manageable" is not quite the right term?

Obviously they aren't persistent, but they do need to be managed
otherwise they are not viewable.

I think there are three things here:
* persistent - value can be saved in the bundle
* configurable - value can in overridden by attribute store
   (implies persistent)
* managed - value should be exposed to management (e.g. JMX)

For example:
* Statistics are managed but not persistent.
* Config properties are configurable and probably managed.
* Interceptor stacks are persistent but not configurable or managed.
* Runtime properties (e.g. $resource) are none.

--
Jeremy