geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: eclipse plugin version and release schedule?
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:14:34 GMT
Sachin Patel wrote:

> So what does everyone prefer?
>
> (1) We keep 1.0.0, and have our final driver with or after WTP hits 1.0
> so our official version is based on the WTP 1.0 offical version.  On
> this 1.0.0 release the update manager will be available as a primary
> means of installing this official version.

-1 keeping the 1.0.0 version. It's a bit misleading. Historically, 1.0.0
  is a means of declaring that a feature set is complete and moreover
the team has agreed it really is. If you're satisfied with keeping in
sync with WTP numbering, I'm fine with it, but the other question is
whether or not the 1.0.0 is indeed ready.

So, a question might strike a reader, what's the roadmap for 1.0.0? Is
JIRA the definite source of what's coming?

> (2) We bump down the current version to something like 0.5.0, and this
> version will be an official version to go out with Geronimo 1.0 and be
> based on one of the milestone driver's of WTP.  This offical version
> will also be available through the update manager.

0.5.0 - doesn't look good, either. It reminds me OpenEJB and Castor with
the never-ending numbering where no one could decide what exactly should
  be the 1.0 version (fortunatelly, Dave cut the pre-1.0 version of
OpenEJB, so it's drawing to its close ;))

I'd vote for 0.5.0 if JIRA (or any other source) would be appropriately
updated so that one could see what it really means. Of course, at the
moment, 0.5.0 is as good to me as 0.7.5 or even 0.7.7.9 ;)

> (3) Something else

Since 1.0.0-dev is not possible, I'd go with 0.5.0 and update JIRA
accordingly, so that the plugin won't fall into the trap of the
never-ending 0.x.x.x numbering.

> Sachin

Jacek