geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject eclipse plugin version and release schedule?
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:55:27 GMT
To get some discussion going on release schedules... What version should
we have the eclipse plugin at?  Currently it stands at 1.0.0.

To give you some background....

First off, Eclipse requires a pure version number, so we can't have
1.0.0-dev. If you go to any of the eclipse projects, you'll notice that
after downloading a version, you cannot visually differentiate between a
development version of a jar and its released version.  Only by the
actual download zip, are versions specified by including a date and
build type in the zip.  This is why on the download like I put the date
in the link to indicate that it is a daily 1.0.0 development driver.

Secondly, the update manager should be used to post official released
versions and to move from one released version to another.  To update
with a daily version, you manually have to download the zip and extract
it over the previous version.

One other issue is do we want an official version for 1.0? The plugins
WTP requirement won't have their 1.0 release until around December.  So
it will have to be based on a milestone driver of WTP.  The WTP release
schedule is as follows:

M8-9/23
M9-11/18
1.0-by EOY

So what does everyone prefer?

(1) We keep 1.0.0, and have our final driver with or after WTP hits 1.0
so our official version is based on the WTP 1.0 offical version.  On
this 1.0.0 release the update manager will be available as a primary
means of installing this official version.
(2) We bump down the current version to something like 0.5.0, and this
version will be an official version to go out with Geronimo 1.0 and be
based on one of the milestone driver's of WTP.  This offical version
will also be available through the update manager.
(3) Something else

Based on this, we can decide what function we want in.  For example if
(2) is chosen, we just focus on stability with WTP M8/9, deployment
scenarios, rather then development scenarios (editors, views.... etc).

Thoughts???

Sachin