geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Web Console Architecture/Goals/ etc...
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:47:57 GMT
There are a number of items that I think we need to spell out for the
Web Console so that we can coordinate our efforts and ensure we are all
singing from the same hymnal.  I think we need to recreate some
information that was formerly included in the "WebConsole" wiki page
(now in the obsolete list).   Some of this is covered in the new "Web
Console" page,  but other items aren't.   In particular I think we need
the following sections again:  Web Console overview with a clear
statement of the purpose for the Web Console,   Architectural Goals for
the Web Console and Portal Server, and finally the Feature List (in
priority order) of items that we all agree need to be delivered (this is
mostly there in the .

I'm thinking of stuff like the following:

Web Console Overview and Purpose:
The Geronimo Web Console is built upon Portal technology so that it can
be easily extended and enhanced as new capabilities are added to
Geronimo. The Web Console currently makes use of the Simple Portal
project from Pluto. The Pluto technology is currently included in within
the Web Console application itself.
The Geronimo Web Console is a web management interface for the Geronimo
Server.  It's purpose is to provide a lightweight and intuitive web
application which can manage the internal operations of the server, its
components, and any applications hosted on it.  Like the other
management efforts in Geronimo, the Web Console makes heavy use of the
JMX APIs to manage Geronimo and its components.

Architectural Goals:
Portlets were chosen to be the basic building block of web console
components because they are in line with the goal to provide a flexible
console that is easy to extend.
- Insulate the console portlet capabilities (the view) from the business
logic necessary to manage the system.  This is planned to be via a well
structured management interface.
- Provide a role based user interface so that users with different roles
are only authorized for and can only see items for which they are
responsible.
- Provide a dynamic configuration structure such that additional console
administrative functions can be included along with the appropriate
functionality.   For example, we would like to be able to include EJB
management portlets only when Geronimo has been configured to support EJBs.
- Place a priority on usability and the typical user (most like an
administrator managing a set of applications on a day-to-day basis
rather than configuring Geronimo directly).

Goals for the Portlet Container in Geronimo:
- Move the Portlet container and Portal Server from the Console Web
Application to Geronimo itself.  This will be accomplished as part of
some future effort to provide Portal Server capabilities in Geronimo for
user exploitation.
- Upgrade to a more robust Portal Server implementation such as
JetSpeed2 and provide this to host user portal applications.   This is
essential to:
    - Stay competitive with other application servers that are hosting
portlet applications.
    - So the the Web Console can be more dynamic, being extended and
enhanced as various components are configured for the Geronimo Server
(either at build time or runtime).
    - So that users (such as ISVs) can potentially use the Portal
capabilities themselves to not only host their own applications but also
extend the console management application with additional features
necessary to manage their applications.

Features:
- list of Portlets and Pages with descriptions that we feel need to be
created as well as rankings such as "gotta have", "nice to have",
"swinging for the fence"
- Introduce a role based user interface for the console so that it can
meet the differing needs of various users.   This is both to prevent
unauthorized use of particular functions as well as to eliminate
clutter.   This should include creating custom roles to match the needs
of the user environment.
- Provide extension capabilities such that users can integrate their
application administration into the Geronimo Web Console.
- Provide customization capabilities for the user to change the look and
feel of the Web Console.

Agree/Disagree?    Should I just make these types of updates directly to
the Wiki page or should we agree upon them so that we're not
contradicting each other as we modify the Wiki?

Also, is the wiki the right place to store this type of information or
should there be a more formal location (that can't be modified by
anybody) off of Apache Geronimo?

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim Elliot