geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat, logging, admin portlet, and GBeans
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:30:49 GMT
Of course you are correct David.  Your hard work has made it possible so
that we can support multiple containers concurrently.  My statement
below was not directly related to this design.   I was only trying to
keep things consistent in the console for now (which always assumes just
1 active web container at a time).   Since the console is still being
considered a "tech preview" for M5 I don't think this will present a
problem for that delivery.

However, since you brought it up ... did we ever gain consensus on our
packaging plans and typical environment?   I wasn't aware that this
issue was settled (not that I want to start the discussion here :-) ).
IIRC there were questions about this being a scenario that most users
would understand and I don't believe that we have yet identified a
practical scenario where a user would require this.  There were also
questions about supporting multiple containers of the same or different
versions and any problems that might arise as a result (such as class
loader issues).

I'm referring to the discussion that you started in this thread so
perhaps we should take the discussion up again on that thread.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200509.mbox/%3c626faa41ca68555dc5f8aebeeebbe16a@yahoo.com%3e

If has been decided that we will give the user the option of configuring
the system with numerous web containers then we need to expose this fact
in the console and possibly in other places for management capabilities
(do we currently have a command line that would need to change?).  From
the web console perspective we will also need to evaluate how we can
manage this complexity without confusing the typical user (who I suspect
will probably be running just 1 web container).

-Joe
.