geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo startup problems
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:38:17 GMT
Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Stefan,

@see
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-a084eef78c0b336b8f474cc9d08f83e7d73423c8

> * My etc/hosts file contained an entry with my system name "Linux" that
>  had a wrong IP address. Because I have a DSL Internet connection the
>  IP address often changes, I just forgot to update it in the etc/hosts.
>  (I need this entry with the real/active IP address for other programs)

It has nothing to do with Geronimo. It's a network configuration stuff
*and* certainly will interfere with any program that establishes network
connections, and so will with Geronimo.

> * When my Internet connetion is up Geronimo wouldn't start (hangs at
>  32%, see attached logfile). This may be due to the firewall because
>  wrong IP addresses are blocked.

See above.

> * I stopped my Internet connection. This time Geronimo starts but with
>  several messages that reports:
>
> Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_07)...
> Starting Geronimo Application Server
> [**>    ] 32%   3s Starting org/apache/geronimo/Server
> 09:32:12,938 WARN
> [server:J2EEApplication=null,J2EEModule=org/apache/geronimo/Server,J2EEServer=geronimo,j2eeType=GBean,name=JMXService]

> Error stopping JMXConnector after failure
> java.io.IOException: javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception
> is java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to:
> 84.152.97.132; nested exception is:
>        java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable]
>        at mx4j.remote.resolver.rmi.Resolver.unbindServer(Resolver.java:279)
> ....may other stackdump messages ...

See above.

> * Then I removed the wrong entry from etc/hosts completely. The start
>  of Geronimo gives an exeception message on the console:
>
> 19 WARN  [IdGenerator] could not generate unique stub
> java.net.UnknownHostException: linux: linux
>        at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1191)

See above :)

> Thus it seems that Geronimo has some issues if the etc/hosts file either
> does not contain an entry with the system's name, or if this entry has
> a wrong/inactive IP address.

Well, I'd say Java or in fact, the whole TCP/IP stack is stuck when it's
misconfigured. Apache Geronimo acts as a client of *your* network and
its configuration. Misconfigured environment makes Geronimo development
quite harded, but believe me, it has nothing to do with Geronimo, actually.

> I thought that this might be of interest to the dev-list. I think that
> if Geronimo fails to start and hangs at 32% there sould be at least a
> message which indicates a reason for this behaviour - otherwise
> first-time users are left in the dark :-) .

Absolutely valid. I don't know what exactly makes it hung. Reported an
issue http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-979

> Stefan Schmidt

Jacek