geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do we ship jetty and tomcat versions? Please respond
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:35:32 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> I wrote a namespace-driven switching module builder to determine if the
> jetty or tomcat builder is used.  It has a defaultNamespace  option
> which is what currently determines the target.  The module builders
> register themselves with the switch and supply their namespace.
> So, in more detail, I propose we ship:
>
> -all the configurations, for both jetty and tomcat, installed
> - 3 pairs of config.list and config.xml files that run both, only jetty,
> and only tomcat
> - both containers and builders running by default.

Hi Dave,

Both, by default? Interesting. Will there be a way in your proposal to
deploy a WAR to *both* containers? Since the defaultNamespace option is
to drive what container a WAR is deployed to I think the answer is
negative, isn't it? (or alternatively it could assume that no
defaultNamespace would mean both) If so, why would a user want to run
Jetty and Tomcat? I don't mind having two containers and builders
running at the same time, but wonder if there's a user case for it (a
web hosting provider?).

> david jencks

Jacek