geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <>
Subject Re: How do we ship jetty and tomcat versions? Please respond
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 04:56:31 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:
> I like what you have done here.  Very nice work.
> However, IMHO, I would be concerned in the long run of shipping Jetty
> and Tomcat together.  We will be accused of being too "heavy weight".
> Then also, where do we draw the line of shipping everything (ie.
> multiple orbs, and multiple EB containers, etc).

I would hope that in that time frame we have a more modular distribution
mechanism that allows people to download their choice of components - a
bit like the way most Linux distros work.

It's not just basic functions like web or EJB containers, but also
higher level components such as clustering, directory, JBI, portal, etc.
All of these have the potential to bloat the footprint and we need to be
diligent about what really is core and what is add-on.

I think David's work here is a major step in the right direction as it
sets up the framework for this kind of modular structure. Thanks.

View raw message