geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat problem when in separate configuration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 04:33:34 GMT

Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>

>>> It would be nicer still not to have any files in var at all and have
>>> the configuration stand alone - is that possible?
>>

>> Please explain what you mean.
>>

> Tomcat seems to depend on certain files being present in var/catalina.
> For example, the ROOT directory is used as the "default" context when
> everything else is unmapped; perhaps that could be replaced with a
> specific servlet (Wrapper?) loaded into the Engine when the GBean starts
>  thereby eliminating the directory completely.

Actually, the ROOT directory was my own little concoction ;-)  I had to
code for it as I followed the Tomcat paradigm on how it handles it.

> Similarly, would it be possible to replace var/conf/web.xml with entries
> pre-loaded on startup and which could be managed via a GBean/JMX rather
> than by editing the file?

Yes.  but its a lot of code, since I am just letting Tomcat do the magic
with the digester.  But nothing could prevent us from building our own
web.xml programatically.

> In comparison with Derby, the difference is that the directory can be
> empty when the server starts with Derby creating anything it needs. I
> would have thought this was similar to the "work" directory that holds
> generated classes etc. and can be removed without prejudice.

It can me moved, but not necessarily removed.

> I don't know if any of this is possible, just floating the idea.

It is...but its definately some work.