geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat problem when in separate configuration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:33:30 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

>> It would be nicer still not to have any files in var at all and have
>> the configuration stand alone - is that possible?
>

> Please explain what you mean.

Tomcat seems to depend on certain files being present in var/catalina.
For example, the ROOT directory is used as the "default" context when
everything else is unmapped; perhaps that could be replaced with a
specific servlet (Wrapper?) loaded into the Engine when the GBean starts
  thereby eliminating the directory completely.

Similarly, would it be possible to replace var/conf/web.xml with entries
pre-loaded on startup and which could be managed via a GBean/JMX rather
than by editing the file?

In comparison with Derby, the difference is that the directory can be
empty when the server starts with Derby creating anything it needs. I
would have thought this was similar to the "work" directory that holds
generated classes etc. and can be removed without prejudice.

I don't know if any of this is possible, just floating the idea.

--
Jeremy