geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat, logging, admin portlet, and GBeans
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:18:58 GMT

Aaron Mulder wrote:

>	In order to do this right, I think we should define an interface
>for web server request log access.  That interface should have a method
>that searches the logs, like the server log GBean does, so rather than the
>console code asking the web server for log files and then opening files
>and scanning them, the console should pass a bunch of search parameters to
>the web server, and the web server should identify and search its own logs
>and just return the results to the console.  If the web server has
>multiple logs, I guess it should have a method that gets a list of log
>file names, so the portlet can let you select the log to query, and the
>search method can take the log file name as a parameter.
>
>	I have an outstanding task to rearrange the management interface
>works for the web containers and connectors, so part of that can be
>exposing the log manager or whatever we call the interface mentioned
>above.  So after those changes, the code should look something like this:
>
>J2EEServer server = ...
>WebManager[] managers = ... server.getWebManagers();

Why would there be multiple WebManagers for a single server?   A
J2EEServer only includes a single Web Container today (although I did
see discussion on dev list about the ability to support multiple
containers concurrently ... not sure how that is done).  Do you intend
for the WebManagers to manage more than just the Web Container or is
this to support the multiple container scenario in which case I suppose
the J2EEServer will need to change as well when working directly with
the containers.

>(select Tomcat or Jetty WebManager to work with)
>

>RequestLogManager log = ... managers[i].getRequestLog();
>(do log stuff such as:
>    String[] logFiles = log.getLogFiles();
>    LogLine[] hits = log.searchLogs(logFile, start, end, maxRows, ...);
>)
>
>	To get started, perhaps you could propose an interface for the
>RequestLogManager or whatever we call it, and look at how we could
>implement that for Tomcat and Jetty.
>
>Thanks,
>	Aaron
>
>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Joe Bohn wrote:
>

>>I was investigating what is necessary to get the log management portlet
>>in the console working for tomcat.   It currently only works to display
>>the jetty web log.
>>
>>As I was digging into this it is starting to get a little deeper than I
>>anticipated and would like some recommendations.
>>
>>- The log portlet references a GBean object for the JettyRequestLog.
>>- I don't see an equivalent GBean in tomcat.  Should I attempt to create
>>one and wrap the Tomcat web log in a GBean too?
>>
>>--
>>Joe Bohn
>>joe.bohn@earthlink.net
>>
>>"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim
Elliot