geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Attacking M5 - JIRA cleanup
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:43:58 GMT

--- Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
wrote:

> On 9/28/05, Jeff Genender <jgenender@savoirtech.com>
> wrote:
> > > GERONIMO-518 - Deploying Struts app fails on
> Logging ClassCastException
> > >
> > > Aaron, looking at your latest comments this
> doesn't seems so easy to
> > > solve.  I wonder if we shouldn't add this to the
> "Significant Missing
> > > Features" section of our release notes.
> >
> > This is not a bug...I will probably close this out
> - unless others
> > object.  This has to do with the commons logging
> jar in the web app.
>
> I think I object.  If we feel that commons logging
> is part of the
> server implementation and cannot be redefined in the
> web app, then we
> should add it to the list of packages we refuse to
> load from the web
> app classloader (so if someone puts it in there,
> we'll just silently
> ignore it).

A warning will be even better. Eventually G will have
fixed version of all the jars. If a user needs to use
a later version of a jar, for example to include a
latest feature/bug fix important to their app), will
they be asked to upgrade G or be allowed to override
the jar.

 It seems pretty obnoxious to take
> Struts WARs that work
> perfectly well with other app servers and claim that
> it's the user's
> fault that they blow up in Geronimo, you know?

I agree.

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com