geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What do you want to get into M5?
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:36:20 GMT

On Aug 12, 2005, at 12:21 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

>> I'm
>> wondering just what state the console property editing features are in
>> and to what extent that will help with Bruces concerns about
>> configuration editing.
>
> You raise a good point here, David, that I think needs some
> clarification. IMO, offering only the console as a means for property
> editing is insufficient. Consider a situation where a sys admin needs
> to install Geronimon on a machine that already has a service running
> on port 8080. The service already running on port 8080 would not allow
> the Geronimo web container to come up for access to the console. This
> situation can be addressed in a number of ways, but my point is that a
> web console to edit some simple properties is not enough.

I probably appear to be proposing one stopgap after another, but
anyway, I think this particular problem is taken care of  by the
installer.

As a less-stopgap,

What I'd like to see is:
--gbeans have regular persistent attributes and manageable attributes
--the configuration expose the manageable attributes of the gbeans
inside
--you can only change the manageable attributes of a compiled
configuration: to change anything else you have to rebuild the config
--a database abstraction/interface for the manageable attribute values
so we can save just these values: everything else is read from the
config
--a properties file or xml implementation of the db interface so people
can edit stuff.

With this, you really would have to be able to start a configuration
before you could edit values, and there are still serious problems if
someone edits the db while the server is running, or if someone changes
a configuration but not its version.

Any other ideas on how to do this?  Any ideas on how long it would take
to implement some or all of this?

thanks
david jencks