geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Web schemas -- one or many?
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:20:39 GMT
While originally I thought having one schema with customization
elements for our many (currently 2) web containers was a great idea, I
have changed my mind and think that each web container should have a
separate namespace, although we should try to keep the schemas as
similar as possible.  Let me try to explain why.

The basic principle is that the namespace should determine the builder.

To implement this would require extensive modifications to the current
builder code, especially the earConfigBuilder.  That is kind of a minor
point :-)

Lets imagine a server farm where 1000 are running jetty and 1000 are
running tomcat, but where for various reasons only binary
configurations can be deployed to the production servers: all
deployment to binary configurations occurs on a separate machine, then
the binary configurations are sent to the servers and started.

If the namespace determines the builder and web container, then
deploying an app + plan is unambiguous: the builder chugs along, and
whenever if finds a new namespace in the plan it picks the builder and
tells it to get to work.

If we have something like we have now, where one namespace can apply to
one of several builders/containers, then we need more information, such
as a separate deployer configuration, to determine the proper target
and build the right configuration.

So, I'd like to move back to separate but equal schemas/namespaces for
jetty and tomcat plans.

Comments or objections?

thanks
david jencks