geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Web container-specific configuration
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:49:44 GMT
After a lot of discussion about the virtual-host configuration, Aaron,
Jeff and I think that the best way to proceed is to have xml schemas
for container specific configuration and include the virtual host in
the container specific config.  This will replace the current
name/property container specific config.

Why put the virtual host into container specific config?  well, the
meaning of specifying "virtual-host" in jetty and tomcat are really
different.  In tomcat this is a reference to a preconfigured list of
host + multiple aliases, and if will fail if the host is not already
configured.  In jetty, this simply adds the VH string to some routing
code inside jetty.  If we reused the same syntax for both containers,
you would get surprising results whenever you switched containers
unless you were very aware of the different meanings.

How will the proposed container specific config work?  I'll add an any
element in the geronimo-web schema, and each builder will look for its
own namespace and interpret it as appropriate.  This will allow one
plan to be deployed on multiple web containers.

comments?

thanks
david jencks