geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: M5 Time ;-)
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:36:02 GMT
	There's a log viewer and statistics viewer that don't yet work for
Tomcat.  The basic connector (host/port) configuration does work for both.

	To be quite generous about it, the console was developed in a
Jetty specific manner because Tomcat was not running at the time.  Let me
just say that I'm not going to be satisfied with the console code until
it's all switched to use the management API, and that should eliminate the
outright hardcoding to one implementation of any feature, but won't
necessarily fix the missing features (such as if our Jetty impl can gather
statistics but our Tomcat impl can't).

Aaron

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Joe Bohn wrote:
> I don't have the history to answer your last question ... perhaps
> somebody else can.
>
> As to what is Jetty specific in the console .... it may be not as bad as
> I think it is ....(I'm just now about to configure tomcat and see what
> happens).
> However, as I look in the code for the web server and connection
> management I see many instances where special processing is done for
> Jetty but not Tomcat.   Perhaps none is necessary for Tomcat?
> There is a log viewer portlet that is Jetty Specific and I don't see
> another equivalent for Tomcat.
> Other posts have indicated problems with the console and tomcat ... but
> they may have already been fixed.   I'll find out soon :-)  .
>
> Joe
>

> Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
> >On 8/26/05, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Of course this is required in Geronimo R1 .... and I think it is also
> >>required in M5.
> >>
> >> However, based upon some of the comments around certification of Tomcat, I
> >>thought I should ask if everyone felt that this was necessary for M5.
> >>

> >Thanks for the clarification, Joe. Now I understand that your comments
> >are aimed at M5 only. That being said, what exactly is missing? And
> >why was the choice made to develop the console in such a Jetty
> >specific manner?
> >
> >Bruce
> >

> --
> Joe Bohn
> joe.bohn@earthlink.net
>
> "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."   -- Jim
Elliot