geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Web schemas -- one or many?
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:59:37 GMT
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, David Jencks wrote:
> 1. Use the gbean.enabled attribute extensively and include both the
> jetty  and tomcat servers in the main config, with possibly one of them
> disabled: extend the config db so it can save the enabled/disabled
> state.  Then you can turn the one you want on or off.

	I wasn't aware of such an attribute.  How does it work?  Are
"disabled" GBeans loaded but not started?  Or not even loaded?

	If they're loaded but not started, I'd like more detail on the
start and stop behavior.  For example, what happens if you go into the
console and start the Tomcat container.  Would all connectors and valves
and tomcat realms and stuff be started, or would something have to
separately start each and every one or them?  Likewise for shutdown.

> 2. Write a delegating web deployer that has a default deployer, used
> for "no plan" and "generic plan": others it points to the correct
> deployer based on the namespace.
>
> Then we will need only one set of plans, and one assembly.

	I'm happy-er with this proposal than the last one.  In particular,
I like where you said everything currently in the generic plan plus single
virtual hosts would be handled by the common format.

	The 3 formats for web plans still bothers me.  I still like the
current solution of 1 plan with container-specific children.  But I
would no longer say I'm "vehemently" opposed.  :)

Aaron