geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: User Configuration of ports, etc.
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:14:13 GMT
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Joe Bohn wrote:
> > I would.  The idea here is to allow a few attributes to be customized
> > locally even on a server with immutable configurations.  editing your
> > configuration contents should use a different system.  Most attributes
> > and all references will not be editable in this config db.
>
> I think that we should keep the limitations of what you can and cannot
> modify dynamically consistent then.  Aaron indicated above that you
> could add attributes via the console but not the file.  Based on this
> position we should not allow the attribute additions via the console either.

	At such a time as we're able to mark a configuration as immutable,
you would not be able to change an immutable configuration through the
console (at least, not while keeping it in the immutable state).  On the
other hand, you would want to change mutable configurations, so you can
get them into a state you're satisfied with in order to mark them as
immutable.  In either case, you'll be able to override things like ports
(using this mechanism, or the console which could hook in to this
mechanism), because even with an immutable configuration you might want to
run two instances on the same box where the ports would otherwise conflict
with each other.  But the immutable flag is tied up with things like
configuration versioning, and still barely on the implementation radar.  :)

Aaron