geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Web container-specific configuration
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:40:13 GMT
	I really disagree with having separate namespaces for the entire
web deployment plan for Tomcat and Jetty.  It makes Geronimo+Tomcat and
Geronimo+Jetty totally different products.  If I'm going to release a
typical application for Geronimo, you're saying that every single bit of
will be identical except for some stupid plumbing in the web plans?  So
you must release a Geronimo+Tomcat version of the application and a
Geronimo+Jetty version of the application?  Say it ain't so!

	I'll grant that it's possible to construct an application that
works properly in only one container or the other.  But I really object to
crafting our whole configuration strategy around that case, which I expect
to be very rare.  I think it's going to be much more common that a plan is
totally portable, or totally portable with a couple of container-specific
tweaks for both containers that don't cause the app to fail if not
deployed in its preferred container.  I'd rather make that the baseline,
and allow a generic plan and a generic plan with extensions for 0-N web
containers.

Aaron