geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: What do you want to get into M5?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:29:24 GMT
	Just pinging this thread again.  Are we all agreed that we should
provide a configuration solution for M5 (as discussed in this thread
previously), that generally speaking allows each configuration to declare
certain manageable attributes, and during GBean startup overrides the
saved values for those attributes with values it pulls out of a
user-editable XML file?  I think David J identified the point to intervene
during the loading process, so we just need any other feedback before
something is implemented.

	I'd also like to consider altering our J2CA WorkManager to use an
external thread pool, so that we can have one group of thread pools that
can be managed, and then various other things (WorkManagers, EJB
network connectors, etc.) will have a reference to one of the thread pools
defined there.  Jeff was also going to look into how hard it would be to
cause Tomcat to use a Geronimo-provided thread pool for its network
connectors instead of always using its own internal implementation.

	Also, we need to resolve the GBeanName issue.  I posted a
description of a conversation we had at OSCon under the thread
"GBeanNames" and no one replied.  I don't fancy going ahead with the
current solution of reverting a really old patch right before every
release.  I think we were close to agreement there -- perhaps we can agree
to "store both Strings" for now, inefficient as it may be, and then we
just need to decide whether to tackle this for M5.  I think it will be a
very substantial change, as we'd be replacing ObjectName with GBeanName in
most of the places we use an ObjectName.  It's big to commit to for M5,
but perhaps even bigger to leave until a closer-to-1.0 release.

Aaron