geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Proxies based on class not interface
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:32:04 GMT
	Right now, if you want a proxy to a ServerInfo (which is a class
which implements no interfaces), the kernel's ProxyManager will give one
to you.  To do that, it creates a subclass of ServerInfo and overrides the
methods it can.

	It seems like it might be preferable if we only created proxies
based on interfaces.  This would be a long-term goal, as we'd have to
provide interrfaces for all the classes that need them (such as
ServerInfo) and change our references (which use proxies) to be based on
interface instead of class.  It seems that we're also creating some
proxies where the class to proxy is java.lang.Object (don't ask me!), and
we have to hunt that stuff down.

	Nevertheless, I'm wondering what other people think *in principle*
of removing support for proxies based on class, some day when it becomes
possible.

Thanks,
	Aaron