geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Security Role Mapping & Authentication
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 07:16:13 GMT
Jeff,
	I don't understand what you're saying about a realm GBean, and I'm
a little sketchy on the appName.  Can I explain what I'm looking for and
then you can tell me if you think this is reasonable and whether it's in
place now?

 - If you have a web app that uses a login (HTTP Basic, Form-based, etc.),
   then the server needs to use some "security realm" to authenticate the
   user name and password you provide.

 - I would like that to always be a Geronimo SecurityRealm, regardless of
   whether you're using Tomcat or Jetty or what.

 - I would like that to always be the Geronimo security realm whose name
   is listed in the <security-realm-name> elements of geronimo-web.xml (if
   geronimo-web.xml was provided and if it has that element).

 - I don't want you to have to declare *any* GBeans that are Tomcat or
   Jetty specific.  You must have declared the GenericSecurityRealm GBean
   with the proper name, of course.

	I assume Tomcat requires some sort of adapter to make a Geronimo
SecurityRealm look like a "Tomcat Security Realm".  I'm speculating this
is the "RealmGBean" you mention, but I don't know.  I would like to
automatically create that and set it on Tomcat during the deployment
process, so the user doesn't need to specifically declare it.  So, for
example, this would be a totally sufficient geornimo-web.xml if you want
to refer to the default security realm configured in Geronimo (named
geronimo-properties-realm, of type GenericSecurityRealm, and configured in
j2ee-server-plan.xml):

<web-app
    xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/web"
    xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming"
    configId="MyConfigName"
    parentId="ParentConfigName">
  <security-realm-name>geronimo-properties-realm</security-realm-name>
  <security>
    <role-mappings>
      <role name="AppUsers">
        <realm name="geronimo-properties-realm">
          <principal class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoUserPrincipal"
           name="system" />
        </realm>
      </role>
    </role-mappings>
  </security>
</web-app>

	So this says, "when any user logs in, resolve their username and
password against the properties file var/security/users.properties, and if
their username is 'system' then add them to the J2EE role 'AppUsers'".

	If we implement what I've described above, then I believe this
same deployment plan should work with the same results for both Tomcat and
Jetty (and it doesn't have any settings or GBeans in it specific to either
Tomcat or Jetty).

Thanks,
	Aaron