geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Network Properties & Naming
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:50:42 GMT
Jeff Genender <jgenender@savoirtech.com> wrote on 23/08/2005 07:14:48 AM:

> I am for anything but the word "host".  This will definately cause
> confusion.  I think "address" or "inetaddress" would be fine.

I am wondering whether people who are not Java developers (and therefore
not familiar with the capabilities of the InetAddress class) will be
configuring the network configuration (e.g. when a system is moved into
production).  Will they be asking us, why is it called "inetaddress"
instead of host?

What names should we be using for properties where the value can only be
an IP address (not a name)?  I think this is the case with the allowHosts
attribute in j2ee-server-plan.xml?

Can we change the names in the Tomcat plans to be less misleading (e.g.
instead of using host to refer to a Tomcat host, call it tomcathost)?
Tomcat is only one of many services that will run on Geronimo that will
require network configuration?  The change to the Tomcat configuration
should have minimal impact to existing users since we haven't released a
Tomcat enabled Geronimo yet, as M5 was intended to be the first Tomcat
enabled release.

We should document any naming recommendations we come up with on the Wiki
for others writing GBeans.

John