geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: progress on mavenizing eclipse plugins
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:18:31 GMT

On Aug 29, 2005, at 9:43 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Sachin Patel wrote:
>
>> So after sitting down yesterday and doing a little reading... I
>> have a much better understanding of Maven. :) I've decided to go
>> with using M2, one of the reasons which I'm probably going to end
>> up having to write a plugin and want to avoid massive jelly
>> scripts. :)
>>

> Hang on there...
>
> Although I like your enthusiasm regarding M2, and I personally
> can't wait to start converting over to M2, we really need to keep
> the thoughts of the end users in our development.  To have to
> download 2 build tools in order build all of Geronimo, IMHO, is
> very bad.  I hope that you rethink this and do it in M1.  We are
> here to help you in getting your project up and running.  There is
> nothing you cannot do in M1...
>
> If we have a rollout schedule for moving Geronimo to M2, then I
> would be open to this.  But unfortunately its not officially on the
> radar.  I would only ask that we are consistent in the build tool
> selection.

Jeff,

I respectfully disagree with you here.  I see your point about making
it easy for users, but overall, how many users will want to build the
plugin in the time between now and getting Geronimo over to M2?  I
know we don't know that latter time yet, but I think it's Soon(tm),
and I assume that peeps focused on working on the plugin will be a
different set of people building the server....

OTOH, what is the *fastest* way to get this to build?

Also, will M2 build M1 projects?  (Oh, please, please, please say it
will...)

geir

geirm@apache.org