geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: User Configuration of ports, etc.
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:52:00 GMT

> On Aug 24, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Excellent point.  I think that shipping an experimental
>> configuration system as the default is bit risky.  As a long term
>> idea, I think that a binary configuration system would be a good
>> option, but I think in the near term we should focus providing a
>> tried an true text based configuration system as the default.
>>
>> Now the big question: Is can we deliver a text based configuration
>> system before 1.0 or should we expand on Aaron's configuration
>> overrider to fill in the gap?
>>

> umm, it seems to me that you are twisting reality here a little
> bit :-)  I think using anything other than the existing known-to-
> work-although-sometimes-a-pain immutable binary configuration
> system we have been using for a year+ is way too risky for 1.0.

um...  We don't have any one seriously using Geronimo, so no one
knows if it really will work.  I and others have complained that it
doesn't even work well during development.  Anyway, I just want to go
on the record to say that the binary configurations as they stand
don't work, so when we get users and they start complaining I can say
"I told you so" :)

> Getting the very limited config db idea to work for a limited set
> of easy to change attributes should eliminate much of the
> unbearable pain of e.g. not being able to change the ports without
> excessive risk, I hope.  If not, I'm willing to live with not being
> able to change ports.

You're kidding? Right?  There isn't a server out there that you can't
change the ports.

> A text based configuration system is not possible IMO with the
> current state of gbeans, where we have lots of complex attributes
> that really need to be serialized.  If we had nested gbeans or
> their equivalent a couple months ago I would be much happier with
> the idea of text based gbeandata serialization in the configurations.

I agree this it would be difficult.  I think we would be better off
spending the time to develop a really good configuration overrider as
stop gap.

-dain