geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kresten Krab Thorup <k...@trifork.com>
Subject orb integration
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:56:52 GMT
Hi there,

I've been working now for a while on this CORBA stuff, and so I have
some questions regarding how you generalize over different orbs.

I have looked through the code in org.openejb.corba.* (in geronimo),
and from this it looks like that one ORB instance can only have one
security configuration; is that right?

In the Trifork ORB, every POAManager (and thus potentially every POA)
can have it's own security & port configuration.  This makes a lot of
code inside the CORBA implementation quite complicated, but allows us
to deploy beans with different security configurations all on the
same ORB; and most importantly it allows us to optimize intra-orb
calls in various ways.   However, we can simplify a lot of code if we
strip out that option.

How many ORB instances are typically in a Geronimo (OpenEJB) server?
How do you manage that?

Secondly, it looks like OpenEJB/OpenORB includes an RMI/IIOP binding;
you do this mapping statically using org.openorb.compiler.  Do you
still compile stubs/skeletons via .java files with the openorb rmi
compiler in that setup?  In the Trifork ORB, there are no skeletons
for RMI invocations; this is data driven off a RMI meta-data
structure (even though we do obviously support skeletons).  The same
goes for stubs if the client ORB is out ORB, but here we need proxy
stubs which are byte code generated.

Also, what is it that determines the class loader used to reify
inbound objects.  For example AdapterEntity.ObjectActivator loads a
primary key from they byte sequence that is the OID of the activated
object.  Where is the management for these class loaders?  What is
the logic in controlling these class loaders?

I'll return with some more questions...

Kresten Krab Thorup
krab@trifork.com

"We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our
children." Saint Exupery