geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: milestone branching and taging (was Re: svn commit: r226882 - in /geronimo: branches/v1_0_M4-QA/ tags/v1_0_M4/)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:57:40 GMT

> On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:04:22AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> We agreed on this proceedure a month ago.
>>>

>> Clearly we agreed on a mistake then.  I didn't read it carefully.
>> Sorry.
>>
>> We want to be able to branch, work on the branch, and then tag for a
>> release (call it vX.0) Nothing in the tag is different from the
>> branch it came from - it's effectively a pointer to a moment in time
>> (revision) on the branch.
>>
>> Now, suppose we have a security issue for which we want to do an
>> update on the thing we released.  So we then must go back to the
>> *branch*, fix the bug, tag again (vX.0.1).
>>

> You've described my ideal setup for 1.0 and beyond, but we aren't
> doing dot releases yet.

It shouldn't matter.

> There is never going to be another release from the M4-QA branch.
> It's a dead branch and shouldn't be updated after we vote to release
> the M4 binaries.

Why wouldn't we set a process that's standard and stick with it?

Further, it's entirely reasonable to keep our option open for a
subsequent release of M4.  Remember M3?  And what if we find a major
problem?  We don't want to ram forward a M5 - we'd want to fix M4 and
get that out there, retracting the problematic release, say a M4r1.

geir

geirm@apache.org