geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject [vote] Establish Geronimo subproject policy
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:45:04 GMT

The topic has been floated out for discussion for a week now - lets
decide how we want to make this a part of our project structure, and
how committers are handled.  I know it's a  lot to chew on, but we've
been talking about it for a while, so no issues here should surprise
anyone.  When considering, assume the best intention of everyone,
keep "the benefit of the doubt" in mind, know that we will be able to
handle corner and boundary cases, know that our sourcebase is safe
because of technical veto, and that we want to enrich our community
both in people and code.

You can vote as many times as you want, feel free to argue a side or
challenge another, and your last vote will count.  If I did anything
stupid here, call me on it early.

Voting shall continue until Saturday, 12 noon EDT, August 20th, 2005.

For a codebase or module that will be part of Geronimo as a
subproject, we will :

1) Setup a parallel SVN tree for it, say geronimo/$foo/
2) It would have it's own released artifacts and independent release
cycle.
3) It would be wholly under the control and oversight of the Geronimo
PMC
4) It would have it's own webpage on the site  (I imagine left nav
entry for it under a Subprojects heading)
5) All geronimo committers would have commit access to the subproject

[ ] I like this and do not wish to see a separate ACL
     for new people working on the subproject, but rather
     rely on trust and expect new people to work on what
     they know, and engage with the rest of the codebase
     though conversation and interaction with other committers,
     and propose code via patches which an existing committer
     can allow to be committed by the new person.  Through
     this mechanism of engagement and participation, a new
     person would be granted permission to extend
     scope of activity in the codebase.

[ ] I like this but do wish to see a separate ACL for new
     people working on the subproject.  New people will engage
     with the rest of the codebase through conversation,
     interaction with other committers and patches.  The existing
     committers will formally vote to extend general geronimo
     commit privs to a subproject committer.

[ ] I don't like any of these options and prefer something else :

geirm@apache.org