geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Thread Pool vs WorkManager
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:06:57 GMT

On 16 Aug 2005, at 18:49, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> I don't think it is a big deal to use a concurrent Executor, since
> it is a subset of WorkManager.  Executor has one method:
>
>     public void execute(java.lang.Runnable command)
>
> which maps easily to:
>
>     public void scheduleWork(Work work)
>
> Now, we just need WorkManagerExector and RunnableWork classes :)

Good point - and with dependency injection I guess the difference
doesn't matter.

Though we should probably encourage geronimo-component developers to
use WorkManager's. (e.g. if they need sync, async or timed execution
of tasks rather than just a straight thread pool). Certainly we
should try avoid folks using Timers directly.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

http://uk.security.yahoo.com