geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M5 Time ;-)
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:02:39 GMT

On Aug 25, 2005, at 1:47 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2005, at 9:11 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>

>> David Blevins wrote:
>>

>>> We've shipped four non-certified Jetty distributions, let's go
>>> ahead  with a Tomcat distribution in the same vein.  If we need
>>> to go over  some J2EE licensing requirements, let's do it on the
>>> TCK list.
>>>

>> When we did that we only released one binary so there was no
>> ambiguity in the release. If the Jetty version of M5 is certified
>> and the Tomcat version isn't, it will be misleading to users.
>>
>> -1 on any M5 binary that is not certified.
>>

> IIRC a release can not be vetoed except for a technical reason, so
> this is a -1 opinion and not a official veto.

Sorta - we do have an issue that other projects don't have, which is
explicit or implicit statements about compatibility.  IOW, there's a
legal issue here.  But lets park this for now as we don't have enough
information, so we don't even know if we have a problem.

So what do you think about the issue itself?  Do you want to see a
certified distro w/ Tomcat?

I personally feel that having tomcat as a certified, first-class
citizen is important and good for us.  The only question I see is
what certifying w/ Tomcat does to our M5 timeline, and I don't think
we have enough information to decide either way at this point.

I'm hoping Jeff (or anyone else) can run the TCK on Tomcat to see
where we are, and then decide from there.

geir

geirm@apache.org