geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r226882 - in /geronimo: branches/v1_0_M4-QA/ tags/v1_0_M4/
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:04:22 GMT

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 07:16:23PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> no, you moved...
>>
>> we never want to move branches, but copy to make tags, and never
>> modify the tags.  That way, if we need to keep going on the branch,
>> we have it.
>>

> We agreed on this proceedure a month ago.

Clearly we agreed on a mistake then.  I didn't read it carefully.
Sorry.

We want to be able to branch, work on the branch, and then tag for a
release (call it vX.0) Nothing in the tag is different from the
branch it came from - it's effectively a pointer to a moment in time
(revision) on the branch.

Now, suppose we have a security issue for which we want to do an
update on the thing we released.  So we then must go back to the
*branch*, fix the bug, tag again (vX.0.1).

So the change I would suggest then is to not name our branch with any
sort of modifier indicating state like "prep" or "QA" or whatever,
but branch for version, from which one or more tags for release are
created.

geir

geirm@apache.org