geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:16:24 GMT

On Aug 27, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Sachin,
>
> maven 1 can use a lot of your ant stuff too (just looks a bit
> wierd). You don't always have to rely on the plugin - for example
> the maven xdoclet plugins are too restrictive.  Its easy to just do
> a taskdef and throw in your ant tasks.
>
> If I had my druthers, I would stick with M1 so it will build with
> everything.  Although there is a plan to move to M2, those target
> dates are unknown.  It would be nice to have the plugin build under
> M1, with the rest of G.  I think it would be a bit much to have the
> end user have to download m1 and m2 to build all of G.

I was just assuming that invoking m2 on a m1 project would just work.
Anything else will be chaos inviting much derision from Hani, because
not all projects in the universe will upgrade to M2 at the same time...

Anyone have any idea?

geir

> [...]
>> way too complex, plus it doesn't support OSGI bundles.  The
>> geronimo server adapter are already defined as OSGI bundles
>> anyways so this is problem as I wouldn't to revert away from OSGI
>> as this would force me to use deprecated Eclipse APIs.
>> He mentions trying to use the maven-osgi-plugin, but the M2
>> version of it, which of course Geronimo hasn't moved to M2 yet.
>> Will the move to M2 be a post 1.0 item?
>> ---
>> Re: [mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins
>> From:
>> Gilles Dodinet <rhill2@free.fr>
>> Date:
>> Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:19:21 +0200
>> To:
>> dev@mevenide.codehaus.org
>> To:
>> dev@mevenide.codehaus.org
>> en-us, en
>> 7bit
>> sachin,
>> right now maven-eclipse-eclipse-plugin is used in conjunction with
>> m1. however this plugin has grown big and now exposes too many
>> configuration properties and thus is now way too complex. besides
>> that it doesn't support osgi bundle packaged plugins so it may
>> probably not fit your needs. months ago i had started to
>> reimplement it targetting m2 but had no time to finish the task.
>> luckily enough matthew pryor has started too to write a m2 plugin
>> to build eclipse plugins (search maven-dev list for "help with
>> custom lifecyle" thread). i don't know the exact status of this
>> plugin though.
>> another alternative could be to use maven-osgi-plugin - haven't
>> tried m1 version, m2 version' howto can be found here : http://
>> tinyurl.com/8cjkv (in particular it needs a modified maven-
>> archiver-plugin version) ; just to let you know: i'm experimenting
>> a little issue with inherited artifacts : if projectA inherits
>> from projectB and projectB declares dependency D with a scope of
>> either compile or runtime, D artifact will be bundled in
>> projectA's osgi bundle even it redeclares D with a scope of
>> provided. i've played with it only recently so i'm not sure yet
>> how to fix it. in any case i'll fill a issue against felix jira if
>> i can't solve it.
>> also if you're hesitating i'd recommend you to start with m2.
>> last, as you'd probably know eclipse forces you to use a flat
>> layout - m2 supports this very well when defining module as
>> <module> ../child-project-folder</module>
>> hope this helps-
>> -- gd
>> Sachin Patel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm wanting to build and package a set of plugins and its feature
>>> using Maven.  I see that you all have done this successfully with
>>> Mavenide.  I'm experienced in Eclipse but a newbie to Maven, so
>>> would someone mind helping me get started with this?  I've pulled
>>> down the source and I'm looking at the following directory structure

>>> maven-eclipse-plugin-plugin
>>> mevenide-config
>>> mevenide-core
>>> mevenide-eclipse-help