geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java Service Wrapper for startup scripts
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:31:41 GMT
On 8/10/05, sissonj@insession.com <sissonj@insession.com> wrote:

> I noticed that Tomcat 5.5 uses the commons-daemon project and for
> non-Windows platforms the source (included with the Tomcat binaries) must be
> compiled.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html
>
> Maybe we could follow Tomcat's approach of not providing the binaries for
> all platforms and leaving it up to the end user.  It is not as though they
> can't start Geronimo without them, since the shell scripts should always be
> available.

After thinking further about this, I now agree with what Jeff
suggested and what you say above, John. I think we should simply
develop a set of generic shell scripts and init scripts and nothing
more (beyond a Windoze service, that is). We also need to encourage
users to contribute their customizations to these scripts for
additional platforms.

> Is anyone familiar with the pros and cons of commons-daemon over Java
> Service Wrapper and why the Tomcat project chose to use commons-daemon?

Not I.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project