geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue - configuring the binary distribution
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:37:43 GMT
On 8/1/05, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

>         I want to provide the necessary features in the web console to
> handle the stuff that a user is likely to want to change.  I further would
> like to have that implemented under the covers by a management API that
> can be invoked outside of the web console.  I further have the idea that
> to change stuff while the server is "not running" (including parts that
> barf on startup) we could load the server into a loaded-but-not-started
> mode and then use the management API against that -- presumably with some
> kind of command line tool, that's much more limited that the web console
> (at least, the minimum requirements are ports and perhaps SSL
> configuration, because those are the things that actually prevent you from
> starting the server to run the web console or a generic JMX or JSR-77
> client).

I'm glad to see this argument surface again as it's one that I tried
to promote a few weeks ago. I must say, I find it odd that most of my
ideas were shot down but are now appearing in the argument above and a

At any rate, what I still don't understand is the desire to use a GUI
for everything. Any type of UI can be developed if there's an API
behind it. But what I don't agree with is the need to load the server
into an unstarted state of some kind just to reconfigure it. Aaron
stated previously that he has code to load the configs, change them
and write them out again, correct? If I'm missing something, please
explain this further.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project