geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: M5 Time ;-)
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:41:27 GMT

On Aug 24, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Jeff Genender wrote:
>> 1) When do we want to release M5?  I mean this from a concrete date
>> perspective.  I would like to see an official 9/9/2005 date.
>
> 	Can we agree on the features first and pick the date based on
> that?

I would like to pick an absolute minimum feature set and push really
hard for the date.

>> 3) I would like to see the M5 cut with a 5 day window between QA code
>> freeze and release.  Thus QA cut on 9/4. Does this sound reasonable?
>
> 	It took substantially more than 5 days to complete TCK testing for
> M4, plus we have to do it all for Tomcat this time too.  Granted that
> was
> the week of OSCon, but I'm not altogether sure that 5 days is enough.
> think David J ran the bulk of the TCK tests on M4 -- David, can you
> ocmment on the time frame for a full run?

It all depends :-)  I think it takes about 48-72 hours on one linux
box.  I would like to run tests in parallel on several boxes.  I found
it rather distracting to try to run the tests while at oscon: I think I
can get more actual testing time while at home.  I would like to keep
the 5 day plan and see how many boxes we can line up.  I'm not sure
what the requirements are as to how similar the boxes have to be so
they fit in the same certification matrix box.  Anyone know?  I have an
amd athlon box running debian linux with a 2.6.9 (?) kernel and sun jdk
1.4.2_08.

>> 2) What do we want as part of the M5 release.  I ask that we break
>> this
>> down into A) Must haves, B) Nice to haves, C) Fuhgetaboutit.
>
> Here's my estimate of the stuff slated for M5.  Note that there are
> over
> 100 (!) JIRA issues that have yet to be prioritied for a particular
> release, and undoubtedly some of those should be candidates for M5.
> Anyway, I put a lot of bug fixes on the must have list beacuse they
> look
> simple and I'd like to make a concerted effort to correct them (and a
> few
> looked like they might be fixed already and simply require review).
> Finally, there are still a couple of SNAPSHOTS and we need to make sure
> all those are corrected before any testing begins.

Some time ago I went through the unassigned issues and put the ones I
thought should be in m5 in m5, and asked others to do the same.  So I
think we can postpone all or most of the unassigned issues.

We should start running the tests more or less now to look for
problems, especially with tomcat.

> Aaron

I've commented with **DJNO those I think are not must haves: a couple
of your optionals I think are essential.

Basically, i'm willing to drop just about any jira entry I haven't
signed up for and doesn't really break stuff.  If no one will sign up
and fix some of these promptly, what else should we do?

thanks
david jencks